How to use Slack with Sync
Sync includes a Slack integration that allows you to share your Sync files in Slack channels and direct messages. This integration makes it easy to share files on Slack (without leaving Slack), and provides improved data privacy and security compliance by ensuring your files are always stored in Sync.
In this article:
Install the Sync app into your Slack workspace
As a Slack Admin you first need to install the Sync app into your Slack workspace.
Connect Slack to your Sync account
To connect Slack to your Sync account:
- Add the Sync app to your Slack workspace.
- From your Slack workspace, under Apps, click the Sync.com app.
- Click the Connect button.
- Click the Login button, to sign into your Sync account.
- You will be redirected the Sync web panel sign in. If you’re already signed in click Continue, otherwise sign in with your Sync account credentials.
- Review the Slack app permissions and click the Allow button.
Your Sync account is now connected to Slack. Proceed to the make folders in your Sync account accessible from Slack step to connect a folder.
Make folders in your Sync account accessible from Slack
Once you have connected Slack to your Sync account, you can select which folders and files are accessible from Slack. This gives you granular control over file access through Slack.
To make a folder accessible from Slack:
- Sign in to the Sync web panel.
- Hover your mouse over the folder you want to connect and click the blue Share button.
- Select the Connect apps option (or Manage apps option if the folder has already been connected).
- Click the Slack checkbox, and then click the Connect apps button.
- The status of the Slack app will change to connected. Click the Close button.
The folder you selected is now accessible from Slack. Proceed to the share files in Slack channels and messages step to make the magic happen.
Share files in Slack channels and messages
Once you have connected Slack to your Sync account and connected a folder, you can share your files in Slack channels and messages.
To share files in Slack:
- Sign in to Slack.
- Use the /sync command in any channel or message.
- Type /sync and press enter or return.
- Navigate to the file you want to share.
- Click the (ellipsis) icon beside any file, and choose Share as link.
- Click the Share button.
Set passwords, expiry dates and revoke access to files shared on Slack
Files are shared on Slack with Sync links, allowing you to control access or revoke access, per file, anytime, via link permissions.
Disconnect Slack from your Sync account
- Sign in to the web panel.
- Click your email address (or display name) on the top right corner of the blue menu bar.
- Select Settings.
- Click the Apps tab.
- Click Slack.
- Click the Revoke access button.